The programme includes training on analysis of the context within which national processes of educational planning and policies are currently operating and on the review of major policy options. The emphasis is placed on the mastery of the technical and analytical skills required for the preparation of education sector plans and review documents (statistics and data analysis; situational diagnosis, trend projections and policy simulation; expenditure estimates; etc.).
The programme is comprised of the following main modules and components:
Module 1: Educational Planning: approaches, challenges and international frameworks
It provides participants with an introduction to educational planning. Upon completion of this module, participants will be able to:
- Define key concepts and describe the characteristics and stages of education sector planning;
- Identify the contextual factors affecting educational planning
- Identify the international commitments and frameworks guiding educational planning;
- Discuss current aid modalities in education.
Module 2: Statistics for educational planning
It presents participants the basic indicators and quantitative techniques for analysing and describing the state of an educational system. At the end of this module, participants will be able to:
- Define, calculate and explain the meaning of selected relevant basic indicators for planning and monitoring: access, internal efficiency/pupil progress, equity, and education expenditure indicators;
- Analyse different statistical measures for descriptive, trend evolution and disparity analyses;
- Select relevant tables and graphs to assess the situation and trends in education.
Module 3: Education sector diagnosis (ESD)
It aims to provide participants with the knowledge and technical competency required to participate effectively in future diagnoses of the education sector in your country. After completion of this module, participants will be able to:
- Analyse the concept, role and usefulness of an ESD;
- Use the analytical tools and indicators commonly applied in an ESD;
- Identify and interpret relevant data and information;
- Synthesize and discuss the main results of an ESD;
- Identify the main problems for the development a country’s education sector.
Module 4: Selecting and formulating policy objectives and strategies for improving access, equity and quality in education
It aims to provide participants with relevant knowledge of the process of identifying strategies to overcome specific challenges that became apparent in the sector diagnosis, and of major strategic options focusing in particular on those to improve equity and quality in education. After having completed this module, participants will be able to:
- Identify the steps to formulate policy objectives, targets and strategies;
- Define the concept of participation and analyse the main advantages and risks of a participatory approach in the process of formulation of strategies;
- Discuss different strategies to improve access, equity and quality in education.
Module 5: Projections and scenario-building
It presents participants the use of the projection techniques and simulation tools that can be used in setting up a quantitative scenario for a national document plan. After completion of this module, participants will be able to:
- Master basic projection techniques;
- Assess the possible impact of different policy targets and options on enrolment trends and the necessary human, material and financial resource requirements;
- Use simulation models for planning and policy dialogue.
Module 6: Monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of the education sector plan
This module familiarizes the participants with the main aspects and techniques of sector plan monitoring and evaluation of plans and projects. At the end of this module, participants will be able to:
- Analyse the conceptual and political context in which M&E systems are discussed;
- Contribute to the design of an organizational structure and process for M&E of an education sector plan;
- Identify a set of key performance indicators for an M&E system in line with technical and political criteria;
- Make a critical assessment of systems for M&E of sector plans.
Preparation of a sector plan or review document
Parallel to Modules 1 to 6 the participating country teams are working on country-related data and prepared a draft sector plan or review document. The last phase of the programme is devoted to the finalization, presentation, and discussion of the country documents prepared by the participating teams.